It has been one of those weeks where I seemed to spend far too much time reading and responding to emails. As a result I don’t have much to show in the way of visible progress on any of my current projects.
I did do some on-line reading on issuu.com to supplement the research I had already done in books from our household library. I am looking for things or images of things to put in the pockets of the map book.
I decided that I wouldn’t leave the Decomp book up for the hornets this summer. Not only did I not want to feel personally responsible (totally irrationally) for them when a racoon rips open their nest and eats their babies, I wasn’t sure if enough of the book would be left to work with. David did the actual removal from the cottonwood trunk.
I have the parts of the nest that I salvaged after the racoon assault, and between that and the book I am hoping to have enough material to do two pieces: one primarily hornet-made with a bit of the book, the other primarily altered book with a bit of hornet nest.
We had another wildlife related occurrence this week. Sometime between Sunday afternoon when I brought in laundry off the line and Wednesday afternoon —likely Tuesday night— our resident porcupine attacked the elm tree at the southeast corner of our house. I have written before about porcupines on our property. They are extremely cute when very young and safely trapped in a box for removal to a local nature reserve.
They are not so cute when they do major damage to trees.
The damage to this tree is particularly distressing as David has been nurturing it (pruning it, cutting down competitors) to replace the one we had to remove so we could have our well re-bored a few years ago. We hoped the tree would soon be big enough to provide shade to the house in the morning, helping to keep the house cooler in the hot days of summer.
If the porcupine was standing on the ground while eating, he is enormous. It is more likely that he climbed up, possibly even perching part of the time on the branch stub below the chewed area. We can’t track and catch the porcupine as there is no more snow on the ground. The tree is only eaten halfway around, so it is possible that it may survive.
I did accomplish one other thing this week: I found some cotton floss at the dollar store (I was there looking for knee socks) which I can use for future stitched books.
The supply of cotton cord I am using for the map book is left over from my days as a weaver, and it is running low. While this cotton floss is not suitable for structural sewing of the kind used in a codex, it will do for decorative stitching. Nice range of colours too.
I do love dollar stores!