My week once again included a range of activities, some of which involved more work on the map book. Since the book consists of a series of pockets, I have planned a selection of things to go in them. Some things cannot be put in on their own, but need an enclosure of some kind so I made a set of envelopes.
The first try, while not a complete failure, was less than satisfactory. I used the same curve to cut the shoulders of the side flaps as I used to cut the end flaps. This resulted in the joined edge looking off-centre. There were a number of ways to correct this, but the simplest solution was to not use a curve on the side flaps at all. Since the envelopes will be completely sealed and that joined edge won’t show, I opted for the quick, easy way.
Now I have to finish filling the envelopes.
I also worked on the design of the DIY book for my 200th blog post next week. I had started with a variation on the structure I used for last year’s we love your books exhibition —designed by Gwen Diehn, Alisa Golden has re-named it The Australian Piano Hinge.
It was getting more and more complex, with lots of cutting and sewing and gluing. I might use the idea in the future, but it is far too complicated for a simple DIY project for the blog. I have come up with a much simpler structure that can be put together two different ways (depending on whether you prefer to sew things or glue them) and which permits the display of an uninterrupted image across a double page spread.
The content of the little book is not original, but I think it is a good illustration of how the structure can be used. You will have to come back next Sunday to see if you agree!
Update: I finished filling and sealing the envelopes while waiting for the washing machine to complete a cycle.