I spent a lot of time this week thinking about some possible works and playing with materials which produced nothing worth looking at so far. I did get some things accomplished which I can show you.
I sold some work to the University of Saskatchewan. A storage box was requested for Finding A Way, one of the artist’s books they purchased.
Since the box is simply to protect the work and not part of the piece, I made it out of scrap book board and covered only the joins, not the whole thing. This is what it looks like without the book, and closed.
Here’s the box of work packed to take to the university tomorrow. (Yes, that’s a copy of Babel 2016 in the bottom right corner.)
David and I also did a photo shoot, so I now have images for The Cloths of Heaven and Westron Wynde.
The Cloths of Heaven:
In other book arts news: if I lived in San Francisco I would definitely be going to see this exhibition.
And on the knitting front, I have almost finished the second pattern repeat on David’s vest. Soon I will have to calculate the armhole shaping and decide where the V-neck begins. Since I am not knitting at the same gauge as the original pattern I am hoping this will not be a learning experience.
I would have had the second repeat finished if I had not had to ‘tink‘ back a row on two occasions because I missed changing colours. There must have been something interesting on television twice this week! As an antidote to the frustration of unpicking knitting, I started another shawl. It has a two row pattern repeat, is all garter stitch, and only requires attention at the edges where the increases and decreases are. I am knitting on larger needles than one would normally use for these yarns, which gives the fabric a good drape and a lovely squishy feel.
Don’t forget to come back next Sunday when I will be posting this year’s DIY valentine based on Hedi Kyle’s panel book!