One of the things I did this week was to make a start at turning the Make Your Mark page from my recent exhibition into an artist’s book. The first step was turning this
I plan to glue the squares back to back so that the finished pages have something on each side. I set aside the blank or mostly blank squares and sorted the rest by colour.
Having lost my focus a bit the first time through —I sometimes had trouble remembering which colour I had decided was dominant (was this a green square or a yellow square?)— I sorted the piles again.
Work on the book is now back in a ‘thinking’ phase: I need to decide whether I will cut down some of the squares farther to break up obvious lettering, and select which elements to use as the basis for repeated embroidered patterns throughout the book.
I got to play the mail art game again this week. I got this postcard.
Here are my alterations: front
The crown on the giraffe’s head was cut from the envelope the postcard came in. The sender had lavishly decorated the outside with rubber stamped designs. There were some wings that I would have liked to use, but unfortunately there was tape over them.
The sender also sent me a bonus gift in the envelope: an Artist’s Trading Card.
In other book arts news:
Reader’s Art: Control/Alt/Shift is on exhibit until August 13 at Cowles Literary Commons in Minneapolis.
If you are a maker of artist’s books, you might want to enter Bright Hill’s 25th Anniversary Book Arts Exhibition. You can find the entry information by scrolling down this page.
You can find more information and a link to a pdf with submission requirements here.
In knitting news:
The weather has become very warm, so I have switched to knitting with more summer-appropriate materials. I have started a top in a linen/cotton blend. I am knitting a lace insertion along the raglan increase.
The other project (meant to be a bit of a break from the complexities of designing my own top-down garment) is a shawl in some cotton left from my weaving days. It will shrink a bit when washed, even in cold water, so I thought a shawl was the safest bet, at least for the first project knit from it.
The cotton is much finer than the yarns suggested in the pattern, so I knit a plain section at the start. I am about to start a lace pattern based on a design by Dee O’Keefe.
You can find out more about the pattern here. (Odd that even when I purchase a pattern, I end up changing it.)