We purchased some red Fabriano Tiziano for the covers. I cut, folded, and glued on the twenty covers. The books are sitting under weight. We will trim them at head and foot later today, then I will glue a decorative paper square on the front of each copy. We looked at three of the Susan Kristoferson paste papers I have in stock,
and decided on the third one as it bears the closest resemblance to bicycle tire tracks. I will determine the actual size of the squares after the books are trimmed. They need to be large enough to show the pattern, but small enough not to overwhelm the cover.
Pictures next Sunday!
In knitting news:
I finished a shawl in cream crochet cotton. It feels a bit stiff before blocking, but shows the pattern clearly.
I have been knitting a shawl with the plied grey silk. Part of it is in plain stocking stitch (also called stockinette —knit one row, purl one row) so that I can use it to measure stitch gauge. I will be travelling soon and want to have a relatively light weight knitting project to take with me.
I am planning to knit a saddle-shoulder tunic with bands of lace down the sleeves and the sides. I even developed a pattern reading device that is more portable than a clipboard!
In other news:
David didn’t quite finish clearing all the trails last week. One of them was occupied.
After he got stung (fortunately only once), David put up a sign to warn the people who ride on our trails. Far worse than getting stung yourself would be having your horse get stung while you were on it.
The weather has been unusually hot for this time of year, so Our Lovely Assistant has been spending a lot of time looking like this:
The picture shows her in one of her favourite locations. (Unfortunately, that is my computer chair. Fortunately she sometimes lets me share it.)
We made and froze a batch of pesto this week. (You can find my recipe here.)
Because of the hot weather I have been doing cold suppers again. Also because of the hot weather, we still have lots of fresh produce from the garden. I made a pasta salad with fresh tomatoes, a bit of leftover pesto, grated havarti cheese with jalapeño peppers, olive oil, and finely chopped fresh basil. (Two cook’s tips: if you want to grate a softer cheese —like havarti— stick it in the freezer for 30 minutes or so first; and if you let all the ingredients in this salad —except the pasta— sit for several hours, you don’t need to add vinegar. The juice from the tomatoes provides all the acidity needed.)
I also made a muskmelon/cucumber salad this week. One half a melon, peeled, seeded, and cubed; two field cucumbers, peeled, seeded, and cubed; one tablespoon grape seed oil; one tablespoon cider vinegar; two generous tablespoons minced fresh mint; and a pinch of salt. Stir well, then let rest in the fridge for at least an hour.
It’s a little cooler today, so I made cheese scones for brunch. We ate them with home made mayonnaise and four varieties of home grown tomatoes.
Adorning the kitchen counter while we ate (and shedding pollen everywhere) was a vase full of some of the last sunflowers in our garden.