Much of my work time for the past week was spent on the annual Beeston calendar. By Thursday afternoon all thirty one had been printed, cut to size (by David with the help of Ko-Ko), and wrapped.
I decided to do some custom labels, and found one here.
After brightening it a bit—especially the red— I printed enough for calendars that will be mailed to people. Then I printed a custom Beeston label for the ones that will be hand delivered.
By the end of Friday, all the little red packages had labels and some even had names written on them.
In past years the calendars were hand wrapped in brown paper for mailing but this year (at David’s suggestion) I bought pre-made envelopes: CD mailers for the new recipients —first timers get a plastic calendar case with their calendar— and specialty envelopes for the rest. The envelopes are about an eighth of an inch too small, but the flap closes easily enough and adding a bit of tape is still faster than wrapping.
While doing all that repetitive work, my brain was busy thinking about future projects. During the recent Great Clean-up (still not completely finished) I came across a model of a Hedi Kyle multi-section slipcase that I made in a workshop given by Martha Cole a number of years ago. (You can find Hedi Kyle’s detailed instructions for the case starting on page 15 of this pdf.)
I thought I might be able to use a version of this for the game edition of The Mexican Bicycle Race. I also picked up some little wooden blocks at the dollar store, thinking they might be adapted as playing pieces.
In other book arts news:
If you are in the Saskatoon area on December 2, you might want to attend the Happy Leopard Chapbooks launch of Vowel Play and Limericks. Suitable for age 11 and up if they have any interest in limericks and language play. It’s also a fund raiser for a good cause: all money from the sale of the book will go to NASHI. You can download a pdf of the poster here and get all the details.
Alex Hammond and Mike Tinney have published a book of photographs of pencils. Not just any pencils: these ones belong to famous designers. If you would like to have a closer look, go here. You could also read this article on Dezeen, which has even more pictures.
You can now look at a high resolution digital copy of the Aberdeen Bestiary on line. It’s just stunning! The University of Aberdeen has made it available here.
I finished another shawl this week. It’s a browny-grey cotton, and the pattern is based on Dee O’Keefe’s Ruxton Shawl. I changed the border, as you can see by comparing with a view of the original pattern below.
I actually started this before we went to England and was almost finished when I discovered the hole created by a dropped stitch. (The cotton yarn is quite stiff off the spool, so everything held together until I stretched the shawl to see how the pattern was working out.) I tried doing the crochet hook repair where you pick up a column of stitches but I kept getting lost. This week I finally ripped back 18 rows.
Postscript: There are a few things I like about winter. I like large puffy snowflakes and evenings inside with a fire in the wood stove. I also like hoarfrost, which we have this morning. The image below is a quick snapshot taken through the dining room window.