Today’s post features the last two books from the CBBAG Saskatchewan Binding Swap. I saved them for last because they are a matched pair. The books are two versions of The Simplified Binding. Leann made one with multiple signatures and Martha made a single signature book.
Both books have paste decoration on the end papers and cloth covers. Leann’s book is different on each cover and one can chose which is front and back.
The image below shows the second side of Leann’s book against an end paper from Martha’s.
Martha’s volume contains instructions for working with wheat paste for decoration as well as binding instructions for the two versions.
Each participant in the swap now has a set of 15 models of book structures with accompanying instructions. This was a learning experience that I did not hate. ; ]
If you missed the posts on the other books, you can find links to them here.
In other book arts news:
If you happen to be in Helsinki, Finland between now and mid-May, you might want to visit the National Library to see Nordic Bookbinding 2018. You can read a bit about the exhibition here or look at more images on paperiaarre, Kaija Rantakari’s blog. One of Kaija’s books won an honorary mention in the exhibition. (The picture above is from her post.)
Some of you may remember that I participated in an artist’s postcard swap a while back. Things kept happening to my third postcard as it made its way between participants. I was not unduly upset by missing one card, but everyone in the swap kept trying and this week I received my final card.
I was surprised that the fuzzy yarn border had actually survived the postal system. Thanks so much to everyone for persisting! (If you follow the links here, the connecting posts show other postcards near the end.)
In knitting news:
I can finally do what magicians call ‘the reveal’. The secret shawl has been delivered to a happy recipient so I can post pictures at last. (Now she’s worried about wearing it out. I have told her I will knit her another if that happens.)
A close-up for those who want to see the lace pattern more clearly:
The colour shift in the second photo is a demonstration of what happens when you photograph something outside in filtered sunlight, then under fluorescent light in the basement.
I also completed the smaller silk scarf/shawl from the yarn I had hand plied. (There’s a close-up of the yarn at the end of this post.)
I pressed the shawl lightly after blocking to give the silk a bit of sheen. It will never be as shiny as reeled silk since the yarn is spun from the noil, the shorter broken fibres from the silkworm cocoons.