Lost in Translation

I had another glitch while making the edition copies of A Clear Midnight this week. (You can find a printable DIY copy here. It works.) I had successfully corrected, saved, printedst and made one copy of the book. Everything seemed to be fine, so I printed the run, then cut out the parts for four copies.

I started the assembly process by folding all the painting parts, than began folding the blue diamonds and putting things together.

When I tried to attach the first blue diamond, it became obvious that it was too small.

No, really.

While ‘close’ may work for horseshoes and hand grenades, it does not work for assembling stellate accordions.

I went back and checked the file.

The measurements on screen were correct. I printed out a copy. The measurements were wrong. But just for the diamond: the painting part was the same size as on screen.

I copied the diamond to a new artboard in a new Illustrator file. The measurements were correct.

I printed a copy. The measurements were correct. I deleted the blue diamonds in the original file and replaced them with one copied from the file that had printed correctly, then printed a copy. The measurements were wrong.

I think my copy of Illustrator is possessed and I may have to call in an exorcist.

I ended up creating and printing pages with copies of just the blue diamond. It stayed the right size. (Less paper wastage that way in any case.)

I cut the wasted end of all the original pages into scrap paper for things like making shopping lists.

Assembly of the edition of A Clear Midnight is now going smoothly.

I don’t think I can call this a learning experience (although I hated it a lot) because I did not really learn anything. And I don’t really think the program is possessed. I think the cat did it.

Our Lovely Assistant Kemuri has a habit of walking across my keyboard on her way to the top of the printer, where she likes to nap. Usually she just turns on iTunes —I wonder what that keystroke combination is?!— as she crosses the keyboard. I think this time she invented some key combination that resizes part of the page, but not the whole thing. I do not know how to find the command and turn it off!

Note to married people: If you want a long and happy marriage, always own a cat. Blame the cat for anything that goes wrong, like the car keys disappearing or the milk getting left out of the fridge or the serving spoon ending up in the wrong drawer so it takes ten minutes to find it. This saves on daily emotional wear and tear as you are not blaming each other, and the cat won’t care.


I also spent some more time thinking about little pieces of paper, then cutting and folding some.

I invented this structure a few weeks ago. Having accidentally re-invented the Shrigley binding, I was concerned that this might also be a duplication of an existing binding structure. I didn’t think I had seen it before but I thought I would ask someone else and sent images to Paula Beardell Krieg. She hadn’t seen it before, but to check further she shared the structure with Ed Hutchins. He had not seen it before either, so I may actually have invented something new to the book arts world.

Here are some of the things I made with the structure yesterday. The first is most obviously related to the origami quilt idea, the second is an accordion book, and I am not sure where the third one is headed but it could be interesting.


In other book arts news:

The Book Club of California has some interesting programs coming up. I would love to attend the talk on pop-ups!

Information on upcoming presentations may be found here.


In knitting news:

It has been too warm to sit with a pile of wool in my lap, so I have been working with a laceweight yarn that is 60% pima cotton and 40% linen. I’m making a light summer jacket, knitting it modularly. I started with a lace panel for the upper back, shown in the upper right of the photo. I picked up stitches along the side and cast on more for the neck allowance and upper front, then knit sideways out to the end of the sleeve. I finished the right side last night, so tonight I will be attempting to pick up and cast on the same number of stitches on the left side as I did for the right. Fingers crossed!

Save

About Byopia Press

I have been working in the book arts field for more than twenty years, and operating Byopia Press with my husband David since the late 1990s. I began producing artist's books and altered books in 2004.
This entry was posted in artist's books, book arts, bookbinding, Design, knitting and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to Lost in Translation

  1. dinahmow says:

    Poor Kemuri! But I think you’re right… those damn’ dew claws seem to be the culprits!

    Liked by 1 person

    • Byopia Press says:

      It’s not so much that I mind her changing the settings on things —occasionally I have to re-set things after she crosses my desk— it’s that she won’t tell me what she typed or how to undo it!

      Like

  2. Wow.love what you are doing with that paperfolding structure of yours!

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.