This week I played with a pentagonal variation on modular units.
Since there are an odd number of sides to a pentagon, I had to use a different locking structure. I cut slots for the five tabs in the locking part. In the picture above you can just make out the pencil marks I made to indicate the beginnings and ends of the slots.
If the units are assembled with points alternately at the top and the bottom, the structure can be opened in a straight line.
Arranged with a point at the top of every unit, a circular structure is created.
I also tried modifying the locking unit (see the yellow one on the left above) by folding the sides back, leaving the slot at the new outer edge. It did not feel quite as secure, but might be workable if the yellow part was larger.
I built the beginning of a dodecahedron. The first time I obviously wasn’t thinking far enough ahead because I started with the locking parts on the inside.
While this leaves nice plain pentagons on the outer surface,
it quickly became apparent that I would not be able to lock the final unit into place. I re-connected the units with the locking mechanisms on the outer surface.
This would be fiddley, but workable. But what’s that funny triangular bit, you ask?
That was an experiment to see if it was possible to have triangular ‘pages’ around the pentagon that could be folded in to the middle.
That works, but to make a book this shape with actual content on the pages I would want to scale the whole thing up.
I got together with Kate Hodgson of Happy Leopard Chapbooks this week to discuss paper selections.
We are working on a joint project which includes each of us creating a star book. (I should explain that part of the reason that we are doing this together is that there seems to be some degree of local confusion about which of us is which. I don’t know how often Kate has been mistaken for me, but I have certainly been called Kate on several occasions, including by people who have worked with her. Apparently the fact that we both wear glasses, have grey hair that we wear pulled back, make books, and knit makes us indistinguishable to some portion of the population. We are hoping to further the confusion. Perhaps we should just sign the finished piece “The Booksey Twins”.)
These are some of the papers I will be working with.
The two papers on the left are by local artist Nguyen, who is learning marbling. The yellow striped paper on the right is by Susan Kristoferson.
I also finished the last of the covers for the edition of A Clear Midnight.
In other book arts news:
Two of the articles on Medievalist.net this week are book-related, and might be of interest.
Medieval Manuscripts: The Many Artists of the Isabella Breviary can be found here.
The Rothschild Pentateuch acquired by The Getty can be found here.
In other news:
We have had about an inch of rain —some on Thursday and some yesterday— since I took these pictures, but the dead-looking native grass in the pasture as it has already gone dormant until next year. This does mean that the wildflowers are more visible.
The yellow flowers are, of course, Goldenrod. This one is Solidago Canadensis, an invasive species originally native to eastern North America. The purple flowers are called Dotted Blazingstar (Liatris punctata).
Here’s a closer look.
The resident lawnmowers are having to work harder to find things to eat, though apparently Dotted Blazingstar is “palatable to livestock”.
The porch garden is looking good,
and there are still enough sunflowers in bloom to have cut ones on the kitchen counter.