I backed some more paper this week. Here’s a shot of some self-backed Thai mulberry paper drying. (I’m showing off: I rarely get the edges to match quite this well!)
I’m in the design stage for a wall piece, a paper quilt based on the square unit I designed.
The piece is for an exhibition entitled Decade Delirium and the call to invited artists stipulates that it is
a themed exhibition exploring the influence of a particular decade, 20’s, 30’s, 40’s, 50’s 60’s,…. on your work
I’ve chosen the second decade of my life —adolescence— as the most formative, so all the colours for the piece will relate to the 1960s. I have been staring into paper drawers thinking about possible selections.
Most of the paper will come out of this drawer.
I test folded some base squares using Legion Domestic Etching. I currently have them in a press to see if I can flatten them enough to work.
It would be nice to have a sturdy base paper to build on, but the folds are definitely too springy after using a bone folder. I will see how they are doing later today.
I heard from weloveyourbooks this morning and A Clear Midnight has been selected for the offset exhibition. I will share the link when the show is posted so you can see how different book artists approached the theme.
In other books arts news:
It seems to have been a busy week in the book arts world, despite it being the middle of August and still holiday season for many people.
Marcia Reed, chief curator at the Getty Research Institute has published an article titled The Never-Ending History of Artists and Books. You can read about the process of building the Getty collection here.
Those of you with a particular interest in lettering might want to read Emily Gosling’s piece Behind the scenes: Tools of the Trade with Richard Kindersley here.
In knitting news:
Some of you may recall the Fair Isle vest that I was knitting for David.
We had a couple of cooler days at the beginning of the past week, and I finally worked up the courage to cut the steeks. I tried doing the securing line of crochet stitches before cutting (indicated by pointy yellow fingers), but found it too difficult. The hook kept getting caught in the floats on the inside and I couldn’t see what I was doing. I finally just cut the steeks, feeling relieved that I had put more stitches in the steek than the pattern suggested so I was not crocheting right next the cut edge. Some people suggest machine stitching the steek, but that doesn’t seem like a traditional solution. The crocheted line does feel remarkably secure.
Then I couldn’t find the dark brown yarn I had set aside for the main colour of the ribbing on the arm and neck openings. (It is quite a long time since I last worked on the vest!) I searched intermittently for two days before finally locating it deep in a pile of stuff where I had hidden it from our Lovely Assistant. By then it was hot again, so the vest was put aside awaiting the cooler weather forecast for the coming week.
In other news:
I’ve mentioned the heat. What I haven’t yet mentioned is the smoke.
We’ve been enduring one of those demonstrations of the fact that everyone on the planet breathes the same air. Massive numbers of forest fires in British Columbia and northern Alberta have been filling the air in Saskatchewan with smoke. The worst day was Wednesday when visibility was seriously reduced and the outside air made my eyes and throat burn.
A shift in weather systems has brought much clearer air today.
We have also been having harbingers of autumn: sandhill cranes have been flying south for much of the week, and the yellow-rumped warblers showed up yesterday on their way to winter homes.
The garden is heading into major harvest season. David has been drying mint and tomatoes this week.
The garden is, of course, under the supervision of the Lovely Assistant.
Although most of the garden is winding down, I am pleased that the sunflowers don’t seem ready to give up just yet.