The temperature in my studio can change quite drastically between day and night. Humidity levels also shift. Paper can move considerably with either (or both) of those changes. As a result, some of the corners on the support structure for G is for Geography detached themselves after a few days. It was not totally unexpected, and one of the tasks I completed this week was re-gluing a bunch of corners.
It was sunny (finally) the afternoon I did the re-gluing. I was working with my back warmed by sunlight streaming through the window. I had to hold each re-pasted corner for sixty seconds until it was set. Staying awake became a major struggle!
I also played with little bits of paper again this week. My goal was to redesign the origami sonobe unit. I wasn’t just honouring my Scottish heritage by trying to use less paper, I was aiming for increased translucency.
Traditional sonobe units can be assembled to create a wide variety of structures.
There are many sites on the web that show how to make things from sonobe units. If you would like to try making some, you can start by downloading how-to-make-a-sonobe-unit.
My variant unit is made with a piece of paper cut in the ratio of 2 x 3. The basic steps are shown below.
Here’s the start of a cube assembly.
This looks like a full cube but is open on the bottom.
Larger flat surfaces can also be made. This one could serve as the top of a cube.
I also completed the outer wrapping of the annual Beeston calendars for mailing. These are the ones left after overseas mailing on Friday.
In knitting news:
Inspired by the top-down circular structure of the Ranunculus pattern, I designed and knit an extremely cropped top.
It would be suitable for wearing with a Regency muslin evening dress to ward off the chill when going home from a summer ball. ; ]
(You can find out more about the dress here.)