Meteorological Memories

I continued work on I’ve looked at clouds this week.

Printing the panels was not without its headaches.

After I printed all the panels I noticed what I first thought was a printer fail —a tiny bright spot of yellow and magenta in one of the panels. When I looked more closely I realised it was sun flare off a raven’s wing. I should have thought to look for a second raven when I found the first one while working on the original photographs. (Our ravens come in pairs.) While the first had been fairly obvious against a clear blue sky, the second had been less visible against the edge of a bit of cloud.

I reprinted the page.

Then I noticed a faint grease mark discolouring one of the other panels.

I keep my hands really clean while working with paper. This can cause problems with dryness, but I only use hand lotion if I will be hand washing dishes (with detergent) before returning to work. I can only assume that the grease mark was laid down long before I printed the pages, and was invisible until it had a nice dose of pigment added to it.

I reprinted the page.

Well, I tried to. The printer had one of its periodic seizures where it decides the paper has been loaded incorrectly (it wasn’t) and repeatedly feeds the sheet through without printing. It finally came down to unplugging and leaving it for a bit, then starting over since it also refused to be turned off. (That was a new variation.)

I reprinted the page.

The current stage is the addition of “date stamps” to six of the panels: one for the centre bottom of the main image and one for each of the panels made from other photographs.

I created piercing patterns for each of the dates. (You would think I might notice at this point that the numbers aren’t centred, but no.)

I selected a colour from my big box of of embroidery threads. Lots of blues but none that absolutely match.

I wanted a colour that would be more apparent on some panels, less on others, so I selected the very palest of the blues.

I laid out the date patterns on the matching panels so that I would not confuse them during the piercing stage. I still didn’t notice that they were off centre.

I took the first panel and its matching date pattern and prepared to do the piercing. Fortunately I did notice the placement at this point, so I didn’t end up having to reprint one or more panels because it/they had holes in the wrong place.

I reprinted and re-cut the patterns and began piercing and sewing.

Here’s the first date stamp from front and back.

I like the asemic writing created on the ‘wrong’ side of the stitching.

Strongly angled light shows up the numbers on this panel, but in more general light it is almost invisible. Even on the more contrasting backgrounds, the stitching is not obvious when the work is viewed from a distance.

I will finish sewing the date stamps this afternoon, and then it’s on to printing and stitching the sixteen covers for the interior intersections.


In other local news:

This is what it looked like outside on Wednesday morning.

The temperature was a little above freezing so the snow was sticky. This was the view from my studio window on Thursday morning.

It went above 8ºC on Friday, so all the ‘icing’ on the branches disappeared. On Friday afternoon there was a heavy snowfall warning for this weekend, but it has turned out to be mostly a bitterly cold wind (it was -15ºC when I got up this morning) with a tiny skiff of snow. Ahh… early Spring in Saskatchewan.


In knitting news:

I completed a third scarf in the natural slub-spun Italian silk.

It was knit on 3.75 mm needles, but even at that gauge the silk still opened up a lot when I soft blocked the shawl. (I avoid hard blocking: it’s a pain to do, and if I am giving the item away I don’t want to make headaches for the recipient!)


In other book arts news:

If you would like to learn about the process of producing ‘paper’ from papyrus reeds, there is a well-illustrated article in the iris from the Getty Museum. The article follows the process using papyrus from the Getty’s garden.

About Byopia Press

I have been working in the book arts field for more than twenty years, and operating Byopia Press with my husband David since the late 1990s. I began producing artist's books and altered books in 2004.
This entry was posted in artist's books, book arts, knitting and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Meteorological Memories

  1. dinahmow says:

    Oh! The recalcitrant printer! Yes, even the el cheapo model, used for letters to the accountant,sometimes refuses to do our bidding…

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.