I spent a good part of the week working on The Elements, beginning by making some test prints to check colour. (This also functioned as a printer test. Inkjet printers can get cranky when left sitting for extended periods.)
Satisfied that the colour was what I wanted and that the printer was working properly, I printed the sixteen pages for the four pieces. (You can see the original, undivided images in this post.) I also printed four solid colour panels. These were cut up for insertion behind the cutouts in the locking panels. The image below shows the four colours and the cutting template with the design for Air.
The image sides of the works also have cutouts. The smaller squares on top of the solid printed panels go behind the cutouts.
Here is Air from the image side showing the backed cutouts.
The locking panels are made of three parts instead of the usual two: the usual front and back parts, plus a printed insert. (To read more about the construction and assembly of the main parts, read this post.)
After using it to mark the cutouts on the image panels, I cut the template down to use for the locking panels. (I numbered the small outer squares so that I could keep track of positions, since each cutout is slightly different.) I also used the pattern template as a guide when folding the two main parts of the locking unit.
Here are the four locking panels completed, showing the solid colour printed inserts through the openings.
And here is the piece assembled, shown from the non-image side.
I designed the parts with enough width in the connecting pieces to permit the work to be folded up like an accordion book.
The plan for the coming week is to finish the other three works that make up The Elements. I have all the parts printed and/or cut, and a system I developed when making Air. Let’s hope everything goes smoothly!
In other book arts news:
If you are a member of the Book Arts-L Listserve you may already have checked this out. I thought I would include it here for those who might have missed it and those who haven’t heard about it before.
The Quarantine Public Library is a wonderful resource for anyone wishing to make (or teach) a one-sheet book. There is a wide selection of books, so there is undoubtedly at least one you would like. This one caught my fancy, but I haven’t made it yet.
To browse the collection and download your book, go to this page.
In other news:
About three weeks ago David cleared a large area of shrubbery from the south side of my studio. It was seriously encroaching. On a cloudy summer day my studio would be as dark as in winter at dusk! Here’s the view out the most affected window now. (My studio is sunken, and the windows are at ground level.)
David has yet to deal with the pile of brush created by his endeavour —there are other more pressing jobs— but he had a lovely assistant earlier this week. One of the yearling does came and lunched on the drying leaves.