I really did think I would have finished Nurture, not Nature this week, but I have not. I am, however, getting really close. This is what I left on my bench yesterday afternoon when it got too dark to continue working.
That’s actually the right hand side of the piece across the top of the image.
I began the week by making templates for the attachment of menko to the nine panels.
I used the templates to pierce the holes for sewing. Here’s the bottom right panel with a menko attached.
Then I moved on to assembling the components. I wasn’t happy with the first method I tried, so I attempted a second pattern of stitching. It didn’t make me happy either.
I unpicked the stitching, and thought about the problem some more.
What was I trying to achieve?
It occurred to me that the individual menko in the three-menko sections on the sides of the panels did not have to be sewn to each other. Since they have an opening through their middles, I could connect them with strips of stiff paper.
Here’s one three-menko strip: the upper image shows the front, the lower image shows the back with the menko separated slightly to show the paper strip.
With the side menko in strips, a new sewing pattern could be used.
On Friday I posted this picture on Instagram:
The large black outlined squares are the panels, the smaller squares are the menko, the pale yellow indicates the positions of the paper strips, and the hot pink lines indicate the path of the thread. When I actually used the stitching pattern shown I still wasn’t satisfied, so I took things apart again.
The solution was to use a pamphlet stitch to sew the menko from the intersections (small white squares in the image above) to the vertical three-menko strips, then use more strips of paper to join the intersection menko to the horizontal strips.
I did do other things this week: I had an eye appointment —regular check-up— on Thursday morning, which pretty much shot the rest of my work day as I couldn’t see properly for most of the afternoon. I used the time to wander around collecting leaves so that I can play with some eco-printing this winter. I am more interested in pattern than colour, so I picked things based on shape.
I also spent time in the kitchen this week, so there was a Madhur Jaffrey carrot cake.
There is also left-over Mexican lasagna for supper tonight. (You can find a recipe at the end of this post.)
One of the highlights of the week was receiving this in the mail.
There are, as usual, many interesting articles, but my favourite was Cut-and-Folded Single-Sheet Accordion Books by Peter Thomas. He has created a system of nomenclature so that the various fold and cut patterns can be described clearly.
The bad news is that this workshop by Jeff Peachey is already full.
Erin Fletcher’s first online workshop for the fall is also full, but she has several more scheduled from October through December. You can find the information here.
Fletcher also has a number of free tutorials on her blog, Flash of the Hand. You can find the list on this webpage.
You can check out the finalists in this post. The winner will be announced later this month.