I finally finished Nurture, not Nature! Here’s a quick shot of it on the bench.
The assembly went relatively quickly once I worked out a satisfactory system. I sewed on panels first,
then stitched the three-menko strip between them. The image below shows the strip sewn to the left-hand panel, but not the right.
Then the long menko strip was attached up the side.
The final step was installing eyelets for the same mounting system I have used in some of my previous works.
My single-hole punch doesn’t reach into the centre of a menko, so I made a template and marked holes in three of the top row of menko.
Then I hand cut the holes and inserted the eyelets. The image shows just the first half pushed through the hole.
Now on to the last piece for my Square Dance exhibition, Inheritance.
In other book arts news:
If you are interested in the history of calligraphy and type design, you might enjoy this well-illustrated —twenty-six images— article from The Public Domain Review.
With so many people going back to school this month, it seems like a good time to re-visit one of my DIY book covers.
The cover is adaptable to any thickness, from an exercise book to a hardcover textbook. You will find the instructions here.
In other local news:
It is most definitely fall, and the temperatures have returned to seasonal normals. The colours of the prairie autumn are beginning. Here are some pictures of our place. (The light is a little odd because we have been having smoke haze from the West Coast fires. The sun in the last picture was photographed at about 6:30 PM yesterday, through a combination of haze and thin cloud.)