Some Degree of Success

I accomplished a few things this week.

I re-strung the prototype wind spinner, back on cotton cord. It was more complicated than the previous time since the three parts of each unit were now glued together, and therefore I had to thread the units onto the cord. (I hate learning experiences.)

The threading required a surprising number of tools. (The punch I used to create small card stock discs isn’t included in the image below.)

Assembly also took a large number of steps. The process: thread the cotton cord into the sailmaker’s needle (the only needle in the house that was long enough and thin enough), slide on a paper unit and pull the needle through by grasping the tip with the pliers, then thread on a wooden bead, unthread the sailmaker’s needle, thread the tapestry needle, use the awl to make a hole in the approximate centre of the card stock disc, slide on the card stock disc, tie a double knot below the disc. Repeat.

I didn’t get the spacing as even as I would have liked, but it works.

The other thing I worked on this week was preparing for a #100dayproject. I will probably make it a 99 day project, since I like odd numbers and nines.

I cut squares from all the pastel papers I had in my paper storage, and topped that up with off-white squares of Legion Domestic Etching.

I did some tests combining laser printing and coloured pencil.

I also did some tests using coloured pencil on some of my shiny papers.

I will start posting a square a day on my Instagram feed tomorrow!


In other book arts news:

Letterform Archive has posted an interview/article on a paper alphabet created by designer Zai Divecha.

You can find the full piece here.

*****

If you enjoy stories involving bookbinding oddities, Adam Smyth’s recent article Directions to the binder may interest you.

*****

Do you make pop-up or movable books?

You can find the entry information for this and two other awards on The Movable Book Society website.

Here’s a picture of one page spread from Zahhak: The Legend of the Serpent King by Simon Arizpe, winner of last year’s Meggendorfer Prize for Best Paper Engineering – Trade Publication.


David has been busy too. Here’s a winter picture of the lane that leads south-east from the house. (Long ago it was the driveway.)

Here’s David at work with his ‘landscape gardening’ equipment.

Here’s the view now.

This is not the only clearing David has done in the last few weeks! Our place is starting to look quite park-like.

About Byopia Press

I have been working in the book arts field for more than twenty years, and operating Byopia Press with my husband David since the late 1990s. I began producing artist's books and altered books in 2004.
This entry was posted in artist's books, book arts, bookbinding, moveable books, paper toy, typography and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Some Degree of Success

  1. hollowjb says:

    Such a pleasure to read this every time.

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.