For several days this past week I worked on my project Marginalia for this month’s Instagram areyoubookenough challenge.
The specific theme for this month’s challenge is Margin, so I am using the margins left over after using the text area of dictionary pages for a different piece. I selected one word from each margin strip, sorting them into three categories —nouns, verbs, and descriptors (adjectives and adverbs)— before cutting out each word.
To make them easier to handle, the words are then glued onto card stock strips. The card stock is colour-coded: yellow for nouns, orange for descriptors, green for verbs.
After the glue has dried, the strips are cut into individual words. All the nouns are done and I am about two-thirds of the way through prepping the descriptors.
I will show you the finished project next Sunday.
I did a little more playing with cord-making this week. This untrimmed sample is made from the skin of rhubarb stalks. I followed the instructions I found here. (I want you to promise me that you will never cut anything the way Sally Pointer cuts rhubarb stalks in the instruction video.)
I learned a clever thing this week. This will be extremely helpful when cutting small pieces of thin paper.
I don’t have a twelve inch aluminum triangle, but I do have a heavy aluminum square and David picked up a pair of magnetic clamps from Lee Valley.
The magnets also hold the square for storage on the front of the cutter.
For those of you not following the progress of The 99 Dreams of Euclid’s Wife on Instagram, here are the seven from this week. (I passed the half way point on Monday.)
In other book arts news:
If you are within driving distance of Meacham, Saskatchewan, you might want to see this exhibition of prints and drawings.
Gallery hours and directions can be found here.
If you are interested in animated type, this article from PRINT might be of interest.
The full article —with animations— can be found here.
And in case you are in a hurry, or don’t want to read an article, but would like to see some animated text, here’s my favourite from Voyce’s Instagram posts.
Cathryn, thank you for another great post reflecting your busy week. Th Kutrimmer solution is very welcome as I always feel like it’s a major personal failing that I can’t cut straight. I also have a bag of rhubarb I started to ply, but I have been going down several rabbit holes, and I am going to finish up with nettle fiber and save the rhubarb threads for papermaking. The riches of spring and summer, while welcome, can easily overwhelm resulting in indecision. Best, Greta
I don’t get nettles here but I have developed a new habit of picking stalks of things and twisting them to see how they respond! The rhubarb should make very pretty paper. Apparently I can wait until autumn to gather things like daylily leaves, or even leave them until spring. So many things to try.